Last month Commvault and Oracle announced their Partnership to deliver Metallic Data Management as a Service (DMaaS) to Oracle Cloud.
First of all though, what is data management as a service (DMaaS)?
Data management as a service is a type of cloud service that provides enterprises with centralised storage for disparate data sources. The label “as a service” references a pay-per-use business model that does not require the customer to purchase or manage infrastructure for data management.
Commvault introduced Metallic in 2019, as it’s DMaaS product – bringing the best of data protection to the best of SaaS. Metallic is part of the Commvault Intelligent Data Platform and as such brings the following benefits.
- Metallic Backup-as-a-Service, offering protection for SaaS applications including Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Dynamics, and Salesforce; protection for endpoints; and protection for hybrid cloud workloads including Virtual Machines, File Systems, Databases, and containers
- Metallic eDiscovery, offering granular search and export capabilities for Office 365 and endpoint data to help satisfy regulatory compliance requirements
- Metallic Recovery Reserve, built on Microsoft Azure and delivering secure and scalable cloud storage for your backups
OCI coupled with Metallic data management as a service (DMaaS) enables enterprise customers to protect and secure their data against threats, adhere to local data residency laws, and ease data management and recovery.
Metallic’s data protection now spans Oracle Cloud VMware virtual machines, Oracle Database, Oracle bare metal servers, Oracle Containers for Kubernetes, and Oracle Linux and becomes available to over 400,000 Oracle enterprise customers looking to leverage Oracle Cloud Infrastructure for protecting their mission critical data.
Metallic also delivers the following features and benefits.
- Metallic VM & Kubernetes Backup – including for OCI VMs and OKE
- Metallic Database Backup – including for Oracle and Oracle RAC
- Metallic File & Object Backup
- Air-gapped ransomware protection with storage flexibility – including Metallic Recovery Reserve™ on OCI – a simple managed cloud storage service for recovery
- Data-Management-as-a-Service solutions for Microsoft Azure and AWS.
- Metallic is the only DMaaS solution to protect across Azure, AWS and now Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
What I personally find interesting is that Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) is now playing number three cloud provider with Commvault. I have Personally used OCI and I found it a really good environment to run VMs in. and have said before more people should be looking at OCI as a cloud provider and reaping all the benefits that OCI can bring. All too often its eliminated because it contains the word Oracle.
But actually, there ls a lot to be gained by this partnership, 3000 customers cant be wrong.
For more information on Metallic: https://metallic.io/why-metallic
Please note that whilst this content was not provided by Commvault or Oracle this is a sponsored post.